We shall begin by asking, why should you mention digital marketing skills in your resume. After answering this question, the article will enlist the digital marketing skill sets to mention in your resume.
Why Should You Mention Digital Marketing Skills in Your Resume?
It is a good question to ponder and come up with valid digital marketing skills on your resume.
LinkedIn analyzed millions of LinkedIn member profiles. As a result, it found out 25 main skills to get you hired. And among those, three were related to marketing.
This indirectly hints that companies will only invest in you, if you have adequate digital marketing skills, and can contribute to their ongoing marketing efforts.
Digital Marketing Skill Sets to Mention in Your Resume
First, you have to realize that there are many components that constitute what is called Digital Marketing. You can learn and specialize only in one or two of these constituent factors.
In a company, there will be a whole digital marketing team with a lot of job roles in it. Some of the job roles in which you may be placed are,
- Search Engine Optimization
- Social Media Optimization
- Content Marketing
- Web Designing
- Market Research and Analytics
- Business Development and
Again the above roles have many sub-roles that constitute the whole digital marketing. Let us split and analyze different digital marketing job roles.
Search Engine Optimization
If you learn Search Engine Optimization (SEO) skills you will get the following job roles,
- SEO Trainee
- Junior SEO Executive
- Senior SEO Executive
- SEO Analyst, Consultant, Project Manager
- SEO and SEM Specialist
- Ads Specialist / PPC Expert
- Analytics Expert
- Digital Marketing Executive
Skills you should gain to get the above job roles are,
- Perform keyword research
- Provide SEO analysis
- Give recommendations and execute strategies for content development with SEO goals
- Create and support marketing content to socialize and use for social media purposes
- Link building
- Stay updated on SEO, search engine, social media, and internet marketing industry trends and developments
- Monitor and administer web analytics dashboards, reports and key reporting tools, and point out key areas of importance in accordance with client goals
The best way to tell a story is through video. You have to show a story that sells products and services. Such a skill will look great on your digital marketing resume.
It will do more good if you link your resume to a website that has your videos. Added to this, will also be your video editing skills.
Email Marketing people-oriented, among the digital marketing skill sets to mention in your resume
You would have noticed that newsletter sign up boxes are very common on all blogs and websites. Therefore brands are on the constant hunt for employees who can help them grow, retain and delight email subscribers.
Some of the email marketing skills you have to mention in your resume are,
- List building
- Social media integration
- Subscriber engagement
- Open rate and click rate
- Analytics and data
- Segmentation and
Email marketing is one of the important skills to excel in online marketing. Some job roles you will land with training in email marketing are,
- Email marketing intern
- Marketing executive
- Webmaster and SEO analyst
- Inbound marketing analyst etc..
Content creation is another role that you can take up in digital marketing. In fact, this is a leading job role. Content plays a major role because, that is what people see, get influenced and ultimately become customers.
That is why they say that content is king. Content here not only means the textual content but also images, videos, etc. I would rather say anything that people consume on the internet or on your website is called content.
Some of your job roles in creating content will be,
- Writing landing pages
- Writing blogs, articles
- Copywriting / digital advertisements
- Content Management System (CMS)
- Brochures, pamphlets, storyboards, newsletters, emails, SMSes
- Writing texts for video contents, images, etc..
Some of the job roles you will get in content marketing are,
- Content writer / creator
- Content manager / head, etc.
Importantly, content marketing is a key skill among the digital marketing skill sets to mention in your resume.
Social Media Marketing, vibrant factor among the digital marketing skill sets to mention in your resume
Social media continues to grow as an unstoppable force. Your digital marketing knowledge regarding social media usage to uplevel brands is essential to be selected in a job interview.
Some of the skills that you can translate onto your resume are,
- Techniques to position content
- Displaying the right content to the audience
- To curate shortlists and network with other industry leaders
- Actively listening to your audience and translate their needs and pain points into relevant content and products
- To create offer awareness that doesn’t seem over sales-y and intrusive
- Create dynamic connections with the audience and be able to build a tribe around your brand
To put it in simple words, you should exhibit skills of listening, networking, influencing and selling. In essence, social media marketing is the essential lifeline among digital marketing skill sets to mention in your resume.
As a digital marketer, you should be able to perform a lot of market research to see how you can supersede your competitors. Research is an integral part of your marketing efforts.
You have to be familiar with the current trends in marketing. There are many tools that would aid you to run effective marketing campaigns and pose your brand as the best to targeted consumers.
CRM Skills, vital among digital marketing skill sets to mention in resume
Mentioning your knowledge of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software in your resume will boost your chances of getting a job.
Using CRM software you should be able to organize and manage customers’ various interactions with the company. Furthermore, CRM software is used to bridge the gap between sales, marketing, and customer service. Know how about this tool is vital among the digital marketing skill sets to mention in your resume.
Knowledge of Essential Digital Marketing Tools to Land you in a Job
Your knowledge in the usage of any two or three of the digital marketing tools mentioned below will be key among digital marketing skill sets to mention in your resume.
Social Media Marketing Tools
You should be well-versed in any of the following social media tools,
- Facebook/Twitter/Google/Pinterest built-in analytics
- Google Alerts
- Google Keyword Planner
- Open Site Explorer
Image and Design Tools
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
Media Buying / Traffic Acquisition Skill
You should be skilled in driving more leads and sales. Furthermore, as a media buyer, you will be responsible for negotiating, purchasing and monitoring of ads.
These skills are prominent among digital marketing skill sets to mention in your resume. You should have knowledge of,
- Paid traffic
- Knowing the right platform for ads via market research with a bid to target the right audience
- Ad pixels
- Transforming raw data into meaningful metrics such as Cost Per Transaction, Average Customer Value, etc..
- To link design campaigns and ensure synergy with other marketing efforts
Testing and Optimization Skill, core among digital marketing skill sets to mention in your resume
Companies have moved beyond SEO and started adopting cost-effective-strategies – the conversion rate optimization (CRO). You should not only know how to analyze results but also should have the knowledge of what to test and how to test.
Some skills that you should possess are,
- Research on best practices in website optimization
- Split testing
- Website conversion
- Knowledge of traffic generation and knowing when to test it.
- Different metrics to check at different stages of a marketing funnel
Your digital marketing resume should also have a mentioning of soft skills. Furthermore, your cover letter should implicitly reveal your persona as one inclined towards digital marketing.
Marketing managers and the HR look for your potential digital marketing skills to help the company stride successfully in the competing market space. Make your resume reveal your persona that is one of research, analytical and market productive.